Saturday, December 26, 2009

Most Awesome Breast Cancer Swag

What is the cardinal social rule of breast cancer?

If you have it, people give you oodles of free stuff.

I began noticing this right after my diagnosis. In my surgical packet was a coupon for a free wig, from the American Cancer Society. (I know it's meant to be kind and helpful but I just kept picturing the evil synthetic wigs that are advertised in the back of ladies' magazines. "Yes! You too can look like Eva Gabor!")

Two days after the masectomy, I was carted upstairs from the ICU to where the regular sick people are kept. In my room was a huge pink-tulle wrapped basket, full of pink goodies from a local breast cancer group. (Most of the stuff I used-with the exception of Chicken Soup for the Breast Cancer Survivor's Soul. Those books just aren't my thing. I get easily creeped out by overly-emotional/sweet stuff.)
That basket did get me thinking about how well breast cancer research/groups are funded.

What do people get delivered to their room who have colon cancer? And is it brown? (Which I found out, yes, the colon cancer color fundraising color is brown. I'm disappointed at the lack of creativity. At the very least, I was expecting something with Katie Couric's face/bottom on it.)

Moving right along to my latest treasure trove of swag. I registered and attended the American Cancer Society's "Look Good, Feel Better," class on learning make-up and wig tips for lwomen undergoing chemotherapy.

It was an interesting class. I didn't learn much on the make-up front-but since I know how to apply stage make-up, I think I'll be OK. Learning about wigs was why I went. Since I'm about to have chemo and lose my hair, I want to be prepared. I've never looked like shit in my life and I'm not about to start-at least not if I can help it.

I walked out with over $200 in free make-up!!!!! And really nice stuff, too, like MAC, Estee Lauder, and Bobbi Brown. I knew we were going to get make-up kits to for ourselves, since the woman who registered me asked me what skin color I had. But I didn't know what awesome swag they would give out!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, that is some nice makeup! Yay!

    And I'm chuckling about the colon cancer theme color. lol

    ReplyDelete