Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Der Humour

"The ego refuses to be distressed by the provocations of reality, to itself be compelled to suffer. It insists that it cannot be affected by the traumas of the external world; it shows, in fact, that such traumas are no more than occasions for it to gain pleasure." Sigmund Freud, Der Humour, 1927

I thought having a blog about my having breast cancer is easier on everyone. If I keep using Facebook to update people on what's going on, I'll begin to sound like "Debbie Downer" from SNL. Yeah, no thanks.

Plus, it's a good way to let friends, family, and other interested parties know how to speak to me about having breast cancer.

For example, I'm (so far) a good little breast cancer patient. I toddled off immediately to all of the big sites, Susan Komen, Breastcancer.org, American Cancer Society, and National Cancer Institute (NCI). Great info, but the way in which these sites, especially the American Cancer Society, uses euphemisms to talk about cancer really brings on some unholy laughter. Like the term, "Managing Your Cancer Experience." WHAT?!? Like the Jimmi Hendrix Experience? Or a Jimmy Buffett experience...which I have had and that was much more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment